27 February 2010

The PX was crowded today. As I walked throught the lines of young and middle aged women anxiously waiting, I remembered that today was the day Mario Lopez from SAVED BY THE BELL would be visiting. I passed through the food court and sure enough, there he was, hunched over a table, signing autographs. All I got a glimpse of was his curly dark hair, some brown skin, and just a peek of his famous dimpled smile. Honestly, not that big of a deal.

I do think it's fun to occasionally see a famous person sitting right there at a table at the PX. My PX. The same PX where the woman's clothes are temporarily hidden by a wall of cardboard, a meek little table and chair set out for some big-name who just happens to be lucky enough to step foot onto Fort Lewis. Wait, maybe it's the other way around. Maybe WE are the lucky ones. Anyway, I have seen a few famous faces here over the years. The ones I really remember are President George W. Bush, Thomas Kinkade, Cutie-pie #81 Burleson from the Seattle Seahawks...um...that's all I remember. I do wish I had been here when Dr. Cullen graced us with his presence a year ago or so. He came all the way from Forks to say Hi to the military and I was all the way in Fort Stewart, Georgia at the time. I have wondered if Edward might tire of Bella one day and join the army and get it in his contract to be sent here to Fort Lewis...ah...never mind.

Let's see...any other excitement going on? I was at the commissary tonight buying ingredients for my precious homemade pico de gallo, when I snagged the Army Times newspaper and paid a whole $2.64 for it- something I rarely do. The front cover caught my attention. It seems the very kind $6000 tuition grant that Uncle Sam was offering to military spouses was just snagged away. No warnings, no explanation, no worries. Oh, except for the thousands of spouses who were counting on all that money to go to school next semester. I think they are all very worried now.

I'm just glad I used $900 of that grant this term to finish up my last two nursing prereq's. One more week and I will be all done. Micro and Stats almost done? Check. Associate degree in pre-nursing? Check. Washington state nursing assistant certificate? Check. The remaining $5100 I was counting on to help pay for nursing school? ....?....?

Oh that's right. Uncle Sam took it back.

17 comments:

ken said...

We'd love to talk to you about your experiences with the education grant. Call Lisa Lemmer at (253) 584-1212 - the Fort Lewis Ranger newspaper.

Long-time RN said...

Ahhh, so good to read of continued progress toward your degree! Not so good reading of the cancelled grant money. Sure didn't read much about that in the press or on web news sites. Hope the school works with you in finding alternate ways to fund studies. With the ever increasing need for nurses, there must be grants and scholarships available for this important career.

Danielle said...

I can't believe they took that away. That is so stupid. I was counting on that to continue on with my Masters Degree.

daniel said...

Gna just share my views from top to bottom as I see them.
I feel this is a good simply because it’s consistent with how the user is used to seeing the comment form and filling out information in general. Filling out the name and email wont take me much time, and if you really wanted to go ahead and type the comment first, you can do so, not really that big of a work around. I’m .

study abroad

Lancer and Amanda said...

Hi, My name is Amanda and you don't know me but I was just flipping through blogs and I your words and feelings are truely touching. I am a coastie wife and my husband is gone about 85% of the time he hasn't gone to war so he doesn't have to deal with the tramatic part of the military but it is hard on me with him gone all the time. I just thought I would leave you a comment and thank you for being so strong!

Amy said...

I appreciate your PO very much the picture with the article. Continues to refuel!!

Danielle said...

I got an email yesterday from MyCAA apologizing and saying that because I was already signed up, I could still use it. Did you get that email?

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀

Long-time RN said...

Just stopping by to say hello. A Blessed Easter to you and your family.

MARNUNEFREI said...

Please see! Money as debt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVkFb26u9g8

ZEITGEIST: ADDENDUM

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

project camelot magnetic motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkgyY47duCM

Importante please pass forward

Long-time RN said...

Hi Julie Anna. Long time, no write.
How are you?

tagskie said...

Nice blog you got here... Just droppin' by to say hi! http://www.arts-and-entertainment.info

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

Torrijos ciudad said...

Hello, visit us at our web http://la-ciudad-de-torrijos.blogspot.com/

bill said...

How's the training coming along? Been months since you posted anything, hope you are okay and still chugging along. Long time since I graced a post exchange on Fort Lewis or marched my platoon across it's parade ground. I hope you keep writing. Know life is hard on the wife and families, harder than on the GI most of the time. Just wanted to say hi and let you know somebody appreciates what you have to say. Keep on saying it...

Susanna said...

HI, I'm new to blogging and just happened across your blog. I loved it; the only one so far which caught my eye. Finally I kind of get it. Musings from everyday life yet relevant to all. I've a long way to go...., Thanks for being there. Sue from http://a-garden-journey.blogspot.com/

Dawn said...

Just discovered your blog. I do hope you continue blogging. Prayers for you and your family. I hope all has been well.